OC To San Diego Team
June 24th – July 15th or July 7th (22 or 14 days)
Note: This is mainly a Level 6 circuit under the new USTA junior tournament system. We strongly recommend all participants enter several USTA or UTR tournaments prior to departure to enhance your tennis credentials with the tournament organizers. For Levels 4 and 5 players: We will replace some of the tournaments below with your level of tournament and with UTR or ITA tournaments wherever possible and wherever your entry will be accepted.
All tournaments will count for your Universal Tennis Rating (UTR) and USTA rankings in your home section. Southern California is generally regarded as one of the premier tennis sections of the country.
Chapman College, Orange, CA: June 25th – June 27th – Level 6
- For our first weekend, we will play at the Level 6 singles age group tournament on the 7 brand new courts of the Lastinger Tennis Center at Chapman College in Orange County. We have attended this tournament for many summers now.
- The tournament has a consolation, so guaranteed minimum of 2 matches.
- We house nearby in Irvine and will practice in the area as well.
- We are also located close to the major Los Angeles sites like Beverly Hills, Westwood/UCLA, Santa Monica Pier, Hollywood, the Farmer’s Market and local beaches…sightseeing as our schedule permits for this and other Los Angeles area tournaments.
Northridge, CA.: 25th Annual Kramer Junior Open, June 28th-29th – Level 7
- This level 7 junior tournament held either on California State’s campus with 12 hard courts or at the Warner Center in Woodland Hills with multiple rooftop courts. Level 7 tournaments are usually one day round robin tournaments, ensuring plenty of matches.
- When we aren’t playing matches or practicing, we visit the sights in and around the Los Angeles area noted above.
San Diego, California: July 2nd (evening) – July 4th (aft) – Level 6
- We travel to San Diego, where we play the 48th Annual Wilbur Folsom Memorial Junior Tournament at the Barnes Family Tennis Center, a long-time USTA facility of the year. One of the better tournaments in the Southern California section, we will enter age-group singles with feed-in consolations for losers. Draws of 16 per age group. Practice courts will also be available at the Barnes Tennis Center and at other nearby clubs. You can request a video of your matches, if you wish.
- During our days in San Diego, as time permits, we visit the beaches at La Jolla, the Gaslight District and the world famous San Diego Zoo. We may attend a World Team Tennis match in San Diego or Orange County, depending on the league schedule.
Costa Mesa Summer Junior Classic: July 5th – July 6th - Level 6
- We drive back to Orange County for our next tournament in Costa Mesa on the Coast, with boys and girls age group singles at Level 6. This tournament in past years has counted as a tennisrecruiting.net “Showcase” tournament with wins improving your stars on this website widely viewed by college tennis coaches.
- We stay at a hotel within the major areas of Orange County from Irvine to Anaheim. Costa Mesa is known as a city of the arts and is a short distance from major beaches.
Those traveling on the shorter trip will fly Los Angeles to New York Thurs. July 7th
Santa Monica Tennis Collective, July 9th – July 11th - Level 6
- Our next tournament stop is in scenic Santa Monica for a weekend Level 6 singles only tournament. One age group singles per person and a feed-in consolation. Depending on age group, the tournament will be held at 3 different hard court sites.
- We visit a major shopping mall next to a sandy beach, a very popular tourist area with plenty of restaurants.
Lakewood Summer Junior Level 6 Tournament: July 12th – 14th Level 6
- We then move on to Lakewood for another junior tournament with age group singles and optional consolation singles at Level 6, held at the Lakewood Tennis Center. Well-organized tournament we have attended for years. Video again available for your matches at your option.
- Long Beach is home to the Queen Elizabeth with tours of the ship. Both Huntington and Newport Beaches are cool California towns and are nearby for some swimming and sunbathing.
- Besides the tennis, we will have a final opportunity to visit some of the Long Beach, Orange County and Los Angeles sights not seen during our earlier stay such as the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Rodeo Drive, Chinese Theatre and/or optional visits to Disneyland or Universal Studios. We hike up the hill to the famous “Hollywood” sign overlooking the city.